Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 1: 30 Day Cardio Challenge & How I Plan to Tackle It!

Hey Beautiful! Ever get an invite of some sort and click "Yes" without reading ALL the details? That is exactly what I did and found myself agreeing to Mr. Shut Up and Train's 30 Day Cardio Challenge. -_-
It's so much more to it than drinking more water and a few minutes of cardio!

Day 1: Baseline Assessment
Admittedly, it was more of a struggle than I thought it would be to complete the baseline. Nevertheless, it was a much needed kickstarter. It was confirmation of what I already knew. As I age, I must work harder to be healthy and fit. Furthermore, I can not continue to accept my size, irregular sleep patterns, and bouts of emotional eating as something I can change alone. Not to mention, I'm asthmatic and have had other problems develop when I catch a bug. Therefore, my goal is not to be thin, but healthy. I have to fully open my eyes to what will help me achieve my goals and use those tools.


Tool #1 - Acceptance
Prior to even knowing this challenge existed, I had the man-child snap some "before" photos of me. I didn't think I would be posting them now. In my mind, knowing that my weight fluctuates seasonally, I figured after a few months I would be back on the other side of MY normal. I could then post my Hershey Chocolate Bar-Ben & Jerry's look alongside my Jenny Craig-Weight Watcher-Jennifer Hudson smile pictures. However, life is showing me how to handle acceptance in a different manner. I have to first accept my present state and work toward change in a way that is healthy and long lasting.

Tool #2: Accountability
I can predict that this is going to be an intense journey and I'm asking all of you to come along! I know there is someone out there in need of another with true nagging skills. You can do it! :-) Isn't it funny how we can tell each other what to do, but often fall short with ourselves? That's the beauty of group projects.  Everyone pushes each other to do their share!

Tool #3 Perseverance
I have set my mind to the tune -"Make It Last Forever".  As much as I embraced and enjoyed turning 40  (one of my better seasons), I am not all that ecstatic about the changes that came afterwards. I never thought I would envy a 20 something for ANYTHING! But I do. I HATE that I didn't consider that eventually age would catch up with me! I can't stand them and their little midriff shirts and the ability to wear 4 inch heels to the park!  Lol.  Yes I do envy them for that, but I wonder who's warning them to lay off of those $1 menus?? After all, why should we suffer alone? So to the 20s, 30s, 40s and up -tell yourself "Shut Up and Train!!

Journey light,
E

No comments: