Tuesday, June 30, 2009

7 Days of Gratitude: Day 6

DrLife: Spiritual practice of the week: For the next 7 days, wake up and write 5 things that you are grateful for BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!

Each day is more beautiful than the day before…….and I’m on day 6


1. I’m grateful for soul stirring music. Whether it’s jazz, gospel, or rock, I love how music can get down my toes and converse with me. It can twirl me around, take me back two steps in time and bring back a memory so vivid, it feels like it happened yesterday. It provides me with an anthem for living when things around me seem bleak. When I’m driving I can have a full Richard Smallwood concert by myself that gets me ready for the day. I can put on Mary J. and celebrate being a woman. The Staple Singers always make me think about 'doing it again'. LOL. Music can get me moving when I don’t feel like it. Music speaks to me in a way no one else can.

2. I’m grateful for backyard bbqs. I enjoy getting together with family and friends and just enjoying the company of one another. There are so many that do not get to or desire to build strong relationships with others. One of the reasons I love the summer so much is because I know I’ll be able to see and spend time with those I care most about.

3. I’m grateful for obstacles. Those things that stand between me and my goals, are there to make me appreciate getting to the finish line that much more. Right now I have a few obstacles before me, but I know once I cross over them the next one is easier to overcome.

4. I’m grateful for affirmations. The first time I truly paid attention to the effects affirmations can have was when I purchased “Acts of Faith” by Iylana Vanzant. I got so excited that I bought copies to share with others around me going through. These words of gratitude are having the same effect. They allow me to feel restored, renewed, and rejuvenated. All because I opened my mouth and acknowledged the good things around me, instead of dwelling on the bad.

5. I’m grateful for mental housekeeping. Just like I have to keep the area around me clear of debris, I have to make an extra effort to keep my mind free of those things that can hinder my progress. If I allow negativity to sit around me daily, then eventually, it’s going to find its way into my thoughts. Can’t have that! So when it creeps in, I try to stay alert and sweep those corners out quickly.

Now I have to get back to jumping over these obstacles……….so what are you grateful for? Until next time…..journey light.

Luv, peace, and an abundance of blessings,

E

No comments: